Can consumption of small quantity of mosquito repellent cause any harm?
User rating for this question
my 2 years old son has consumed a small quantity of mosquito repellent. We are not even sure weather he has consumed it or not. How can we confirm whether he has consumed it or not and what should be the next course of action
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Insecticide poisoning signs constitute emergency Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. All insecticides are highly toxic chemicals with severe effects on the body if not treated. Firstly, the incident should not taken lightly, even if you are not sure whether your son has swallowed the liquid or not. Smell his mouth for odor of the repellant. Presence of repellant's odor in the mouth, abdominal pain/cramps, vomiting, sweating or trembling of arms/legs constitute a medical emergency. If the signs of repellant toxicity are present, RUSH HIM IMMEDIATELY TO THE NEAREST HOSPITAL, where he should be hospitalized and kept under close observation for suggestive symptoms of toxicity, which would need prompt administration of antidotes. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Can consumption of small quantity of mosquito repellent cause any harm? 22 hours later
Thanks Doctor. There was no odor of repellent. We have also visited the paediatrician in the evening who said that there is no symptom visible for intake of liquid. But since yesterday he has also been a bit cranky at times. We are not able to know whether there is any effect of liquid or it is usual uneasiness which he gets at the time of teeth evolvement in mouth. Kindly suggest.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antispasmodic + antacid drops will give relief Detailed Answer: Firstly, it is not even known whether the child had consumed repellant or not. However, notwithstanding the absence of oral odor of the repellant, onset of irritability a few hours after alleged consumption, suggests abdominal spasms- which may- or may not- be due to repellant. At the same time, the abdominal discomfort may be due to ongoing teething or mild indigestion. Logically and professionally, it is always better to be extra-vigilant and assume that the child had indeed consumed minimal amount of the repellant. The best course of action would be to give anti-spasmodic drops, preferably Dicyclomine + simethicone drops thrice daily to take care of intestinal colicky pain and possible stomach irritation. At the same time, keep the child under close observation for occurrence of fresh problems, if any. Consult a Pediatrician immediately if new symptoms develop.
Follow-up: Can consumption of small quantity of mosquito repellent cause any harm? 4 hours later
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Prescribed medicine will give relief to the child Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Since toddlers are unable to appreciate or express their problems, they manifest it by becoming cranky. The commonest cause at this age is intestinal colic. The medicine advised by me is very safe and meant for kids only. You can give it safely to the child. It will help the child. You may administer Abspas DPS drops to the child.
People also viewed
- Azithral liquid 200 paediatric dose
- How to cure rls
- Dermadew lotion as mosquito repellent
- Azithral 200 syrup dosage weight
- Azithral liquid 200 dosage
- How to treat severe menopause overheating
- Can mosquito repellants cause harm to baby
- Accidental intake of mosquito repellent cream harmful
- Feeling sick and fluctuating white blood cell count
- Can mosquito repellents cause allergic reaction in an allergic toddler
- How to deal with anger irritation and tiredness
- Azithral 200 cure cold and fever
- Azithral liquid 200 before meal
- What could cause stomach burning
- Are mosquito repellents safe for infants