Can cocaine use be the cause of patchy lung scarring?

May 2014

I received the report from the hospital and am uploading it. It says that I have mild patchy right lung scarring. Can you tell me more about that? I have been playing around with cocaine for the last three years and used to sniff my pill….A lot of them…too many for you to believe. Can that be the reason. I am uploading the doc reports now…for the bone and chest it will be in the scan folder labeled as docreportnov2013 i just uploaded the report through this website as well as the ftp method. I think this website may be easier to access. it is under Upload New Reports
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 23 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Hope you are doing great. Thanks for writing in with a new query. I do work in close association with substance abuse rehabilitation patients and have made academic presentations on various occasions on the topic. Concerning cocaine use and health complications, the ones most commonly seen are pulmonary edema (water in the lung tissues causing swelling) and pulmonary hemorrhage (bleeding in the lungs) which can be seen in any route if drug intake. Nasal intake (sniffing) causes nasal septum perforation (small holes in the nasal septum) and irritation of upper airway causing epiglottitis, sinusitis and in the lungs, aspiration and bronchitis. Also non specific heavy drug abuse (intravenous route) for a long duration can cause bacterial pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, septic emboli, empyema, pneumothorax, upper lobe bullous emphysema as far the lungs are concerned. Having said the above, I do not see any of the lung findings closely related to cocaine in your scan. At the same time you never know if changes will occur in the near future with continued use. Since I believe that you have only done sniffing, serious effects have still not appeared. Hope I have been able to answer your query. Please do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: Can cocaine use be the cause of patchy lung scarring? 29 hours later
Thank you Doctor. I want to know if the questions that I write to you are private and confidential. I guess the workers at healthcare magic can always see but I just want to know if others can view my personal questions and answers. I want to give a couple of more specific personal details. Meanwhile let me ask, How long is the normal hospital stay for a radical nephrectomy? My tumor is considered contained because it has been 20 years in the same place with no mets, however, it seems to have invaded the collective system and is the possibility of metastasis much higher if another part of the kidney becomes engrossed with the tumor such as a vessel or something and is the tumor near one of these vessels if there is such a one? thank you doc...
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX You are welcome and thanks for writing back. I would like to re assure you that any information shared is purely confidential to the best of my knowledge and I respect your privacy. Further you may put in an email request to WWW.WWWW.WW NOT to share any of your information on any public domain. Before replying to you medical query, I would like to inform you that I got a call from WWW.WWWW.WW requesting me to answer query Id 80540 placed by you dated 9 Nov 2013. Subsequently I informed them that I have been replying to your queries on another thread, which is this thread. If you choose, you might close query Id 80540 by contacting customer care at WWW.WWWW.WW I have done a review of recent medical literature on queries made by you and found that the possible normal hospital stay for a radical nephrectomy is about 6 days. It is confirmed that your tumor is a slow growing one and contained within the right kidney with slight involvement of the collecting system. In such renal cancers, there is possibility of development of tumor thrombus in the inferior vena cava (a great vein in our body). I suppose this is what you mean by asking invasion into vessels. This occurs in few patients and IVC tumor thrombus is a complicating factor that occurs in 4% to 10% of patients with renal cell carcinoma. I think you are one of the lucky ones who doesn't have it. The link for the article is as follows WWW.WWWW.WW Concerning metastasis and IVC thrombus, data shows, of the patients 23% had an isolated lung metastasis, and 53% had metastasis in the lung and at other sites. The remaining patients had involvement primarily at non pulmonary metastatic sites, including lymph node in 38%, soft tissue in 13%, liver in 29% and bone in 10%. So metastasis is more of a chance occurrence than concurrent vessel invasion. Hope I have been able to answer your query. Please do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek