Can beta blockers cause Parkinson's disease?

Ophthalmologist
Question
beta blockets cuasing parkisonisam
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Neelam Pawar 41 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Your query is not so clear. I assume that you need clarification about beta blockers causing Parkinsonism.

BETA BLOCKERS are class of drug which are commonly used for treatment of blood pressure, migraine, peripheral vascular diseases, anxiety, etc.

In topical form, it is used to treat glaucoma that is increased eye pressure in which patient uses eye drop to lower eye pressure.

Some beta blocker are also used to treat parkinsonism disease, if patient is free from cardiac disease and chronic obstructive disease, but their use is limited because in normal patient they can cause low blood presssure.

Long term use of beta blocker can sometime lead to mild tremors, but that does not come under parkinsonism tremors.

Hope, it answers your query. I will be happy to address any specific queries that you may have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can beta blockers cause Parkinson's disease? 14 hours later
The question was for my son who is an mbbs 2nd year student. The question was asked in the practical examination of 2nd year mbbs. Speciy the beta blockers that is causing parkisonisam. he has mentioned metaprolol. He asked me to surf on net at that time i have seen your site and raised the question. if you know the correct answer please specify.

regards XXXXXXX g

Answered by Dr. Neelam Pawar 35 hours later
Hello again Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

BETA BLOCKERS ARE USED IN TREATMENT OF PARKINSONISM AND THERE IS ANOTHER WPW-SYNDROME (WOLF PARKINSON WHITE SYNDROME ) IN WHICH METAPROLOL IS USED.

According to literature beta blockers Do not cause Parkinsonism.

Hope this will help you.

Regards.