Can arthritis and chronic knee problem cause low back pain with sciatica?

Does or can arthritis and chronic knee problem cause low back with sicatica,along with plantar fascitis ?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 11 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Arthritis or any other pathology of knee will not cause sciatica or low back ache directly. There is two possibility in such situations.
First is due to knee pathology there is different way of walking or weight bearing which has changed centre of gravity of spine. It may have caused changes in spine which is compressing sciatic nerve.
Second thing is that problem is de novo in spine due to degenerative changes or intervertebral disc prolapse. Knee pathology is coincidental finding only. I think second possibility is more likely due to your past history which may have caused such changes.
I would suggest consult your orthopaedician for detailed clinical examination. Investigation like MRI of spine may be necessary depending on clinical situation and doctor opinion.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern ,please let me know.

Follow-up: Can arthritis and chronic knee problem cause low back pain with sciatica? 17 minutes later
Have had knee problem for 40 years....yet low back pain and nerve pain down leg is only been in past 4 or 5 years...the knee pain and arthritis is chronic...had surgery on knee (menicus) in 2008,did not help...had mri,report said that same condition was present that i had surgery for. And orthopedic Dr. told me that the pain would always be present along with hip pain and arthritis in hip is in response to adaptation to knee it possible that low back pain and pain down leg is due to adapatation as well...biomechanics in walking.....
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 4 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
The change in center of gravity is same thing we had discussed previously. Changes in bio mechanics of body is same thing. Hip and spine will develop gradual pain because these are joint which is responsible for weight bearing of body. Your orthopaedician is giving proper advice.