Can allergies or stuffiness in nose cause soft palate to be sore?

Critical Care Specialist
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later

Thanks for your question.

The stuffiness in nose is usually due to allergic reaction and allergic reaction in nose doesn’t remain restricted to nose only. It spreads to nasopharynx, oropharynx (throat) and adjoining area that is soft palate.

This allergic reaction with super added bacterial infections can cause soreness of soft palate as well as of pharynx.

Hope I answered your question. For any further query do post follow up, I am readily available to answer your query.

Follow-up: Can allergies or stuffiness in nose cause soft palate to be sore? 14 hours later
Would something Claritin help? Could it be from getting to much air in my mouth breathing at night? I'm breathing through my mouth more since my nose feels stuffy. I have no nasal congestion though. Would that make my soft palate hurt? Can you have post nasal drip from allergies and dont even know it? I had my turbanates reduced two months ago to help but it keeps coming and going with sore palate and stuffy nose. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 1 hour later
Hi thanks for follow up.

Claritin is H 1 histamine antagonist drug used to treat allergic rhinitis, pharyngitis and many more conditions.

Yes, it will help you since you have problems due to allergies.

Some people are mouth breathers (usually children), especially those with hypertrophied turbinate, enlarged tonsils and adenoids.

Yes, allergies do cause post nasal drip, without much symptoms except throat irritation and frequent attempt to clear the throat.

Turbinectomy will help you in breathing but allergies can cause further inflammation resulting in stuffy nose and sore soft palate.

Only thing which is going to help you is avoid allergens, take antihistaminic and prevent super added infection.

Hope I answered your question.
If you don’t further question, close the discussion and write review.