Can alcohol be taken with Metoprolol and Lisinopril ?

I am on Metoprolol and Lisinopril. I have not had an alcholic drink in about 2 years.I I am attending a party Friday night and would like to have a few beers or wine. Will this be ok? Can you tell me the XXXXXXX I should have? My weight is 180 pounds.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 53 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. There are no interaction reported between Lisinopril and alcohol intake but mild interactions have been reported between Metoprolol and alcohol. Alcohol exhibits hypotensive effects, especially during initiation of therapy and dose escalation.

Coadministration with antihypertensive agents, in particular vasodilators and alpha-blockers, may result in additive effects on blood pressure and orthostasis and hence interactions causing low blood pressure.

But Metoprolol is a beta blocker and administrating alcohol when you are taking this drug may cause little effect on blood pressure and hence mild interactions. If you want to have hard drinks or beer then a glass of beer or a glass of wine would be fine but not more than that. Avoid rising abruptly from a sitting or recumbent position when you are taking any alcohol.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good