Can acid reflux cause throat problems or swallowing problems along with belching?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Can acid reflux cause throat problems or swallowing problems along with a lot of belching?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Acid reflux which is acid passing upwards into the esophagus will cause irritation of the lining of the esophagus and eventually scarring. This will result in thickening of the tissues and it is this that can result in swallowing problems.
Belching is associated with excessive stomach acid and, therefore is commonly experienced with acid reflux.
I hope this answers your question. If I can be of further help, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Can acid reflux cause throat problems or swallowing problems along with belching? 45 minutes later
You were the most helpful to me. I just need to ask you something further. I dont know what this could be but ive been belching a lot and everytine i eat my chest starts to hurt and burn and i dont want go eat any further. Maybe its because the food was corn soup which is a little spicy abd crawfish pasta. Also, my chest and breast have been burning me a lot. My heart feels like its going fast but i have s normal heart rate. The other dsy at the doctor it went as high ad 140. The doctor said that she think its acid reflux bevause of the constant belching. And my ears havr been popping. Also, i dont have a sore throat or anything but it feels like my neck is being weighed or puller down a little.

Sorry for all these problems. Im just trying to find a doctor to care about helping me. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
All due to acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Thank for your further question. All your symptoms are related to acid reflux and there are simple measures you may consider to improve them.
If you are over weight then reducing your weight would help. Avoiding spicy food is advisable. Simple over the counter antacids will help. I think you should discuss with your doctor the value of further investigation. This involves endoscopy to assess the damage to your lower esophagus. A narrow telescope is passed into your esophagus and stomach. From the information gained, your doctor may consider it appropriate to start a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) such as omeprazole and also an H2 blocker such as rantitdine. Finally, try sleeping slightly propped up. This can avoid acid passing into the esophagus whilst you are sleeping.
I hope this helps you and I wish you a speedy improvement of your symptoms.
Dr K A Pottinger,