Can a woman going through perimenopause get pregnant ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
ok can a woman who's going through perimenopause get pregnant on clomid?
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.

clomid help in infertility by stimulating the ovary and inducing ovulation.

-as with increasing age the ovarian reserve decreases,
-normally more than one cycle is needed to get success with clomid,
-and generally clomid is not used for more than 4 to 5 cycles,

so, the chances of achieving fertility with clomid are less in perimenopausal women when compared with young women.
though less the chances are there.
the chances can be improved by combining with methods like Intra uterine insemination.

you have to think regarding side effects of clomid also, that can be seen in some women like multiple pregnancy, bloating abdomen, weight gain etc.

you have to keep your blood sugar levels normal for successful pregnancy.

remeber, use clomid only after consulting your gynecologist and getting examined.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

take care.

Follow-up: Can a woman going through perimenopause get pregnant ? 1 hour later
ok so do u think it is worth a try? I will be seeing an gyn doc on the 19th, but just was anxious to know something before I go....

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 37 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,

according to manufacturers of clomid it can be used in women above 40yrs also.

so you can try it but only after consulting your doctor and getting examined, so that the chances of side effects can be minimized and additional methods like IUI can be followed to increase the chances of success.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.