Can a tampon left inside for quite some time cause any harm to vagina ?

I was about to have sex with my partner but when he was fingering my vagina he said that it felt like something was up there. I had a feel and he was right. It was quite far up but I managed to pull it out and it was an old tampon. What is most worrying is that I haven't used a tampon for about 6 weeks and have had sex a few times since then so I guess that would have pushed it further up. I have also had a urine infection in that time which was treated with anti biotics and cleared up in just a few days. The tampon is now out but I am worried about any long term damage that may have been caused. Is this likely?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Let me reassure you right away that more than likely there will not be any long term damage caused by what you have described.

More than likely, the tampon material collected moisture from the surrounding tissue near the cervix as well as inside the vagina which kept it from irritating the inside of your vagina. It may have contributed to your recent doctor know about this. He may suggest that you come in for a pelvic exam to confirm that everything is ok. Things that would be more worrisome would be if you had fever, abdominal or pelvic pain, bleeding or cramping. Right now it looks like there is nothing serious to worry about.

I hope I have adequately answered your query. I am available for your followups.