Can a second set of periods get triggered due to unprotected sex 4 days after period ?

Oncologist
Question
Fours days after my period had ended I had unprotected sex. Two weeks later I got my period again. Could I be pregnant?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Follow-up: Can a second set of periods get triggered due to unprotected sex 4 days after period ? 20 minutes later
I forgot to mention. The last time I had sex was November of 2010. Also, he didn't come inside of me.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and good recommendations.

I am assuming you do not take birth control. I doubt you are pregnant at this time. What may have happened is that the intercourse triggered some additional uterine contractions which led to the second set of days where you experienced the bleeding.

Again I doubt you are pregnant but I think you should obtain a pregnancy test to confirm this. Even if he did not ejaculate inside you it still presents a small risk. You can obtain a pregnancy test at a local pharmacy and I recommend you take the test in the morning with your first urination.

Again I thank you for submitting the question and hope my answer serves to be both adequate and helpful. If you have additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Can a second set of periods get triggered due to unprotected sex 4 days after period ? 15 hours later
Yea. I am not taking birth control. This is my last question, If were of gotten pregnant I wouldn't of had my period again? (I really do appreciate your time. I am currently freaking out.)

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for your followup.

It is highly unlikely that you would have been pregnant given the following days of bleeding which you experienced. I am fairly confident that you are not pregnant right now but I'd like you to get the counter pregnancy test done.

I am sure you are not pregnant but the test will give us that ultimate confirmation.

I know you are dealing with anxiety about this and I wish I could give you more reassurance. I thank you again for submitting the question and hope I have provided you an adequate response. If I can be of any additional assistance in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga