Can a person reduce cholesterol and weight by drinking water boiled with coconut shell?

Ayurveda Specialist
Hi Doctor!

Just with a curiosity, I thought of asking this question!!
Can a person reduce bad cholesterol and weight by drinking water boiled with coconut shell?
I got this info from a person in my hometown and there are people who say this works...
So, thought of asking a Ayurveda doctor for expert advice.

Sorry, if this is a silly question.
Thanks and Regards,
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 5 hours later

Use of coconut shell to reduce cholesterol is not well documented yet. Some people might have tried and conveyed but none of the pharmacy or ancient scripture or research has come up with positive recomendation for its extensive use. Some people have even tried to burn the shell and use the ash for medical benefits, but this mode too is devoid of expert recommendations. Some people have tried the fibers ash to be used in bleeding piles and claim cure very soon. I feel an expert cannot recommend unless established facts are found to be true and free from side effects.

Coconut water, fruit and oil have long health recommendations and work excellently

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul