Can a cystocele combined with rectocele be a cause of vulvodynia?

Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Vulvodynia is caused by chronic nerve irritation causing pain and burning in the vulva.
In the majority of cases the precise cause of the nerve damage or irritation remains unknown. For a minority of women, back problems like slipped disc, can cause spinal nerve compression and cause referred pain to the vulval area.
Cystocele and rectocele might be associated problems but are not likely to primarily cause the nerve compression leading to the symptoms of pain.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Can a cystocele combined with rectocele be a cause of vulvodynia? 25 minutes later
Should be rectocele and cystocele (1 degree) treated syrgically? It causes discomfort (feeling of an egg in vagina), constipation, urging to urinate very often.
Also in the past I was prescribed estrogen which always causes big problems (inflammation in the vagina). Can you, please, comment on this. Thank you. Progesterone on the other hand, is very helpfull and I'm currently using it to help insomnia.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If the cystocele and rectocele are symptomatic then treatment is needed. In case of first degree cystocele and rectocele, vaginal estrogen rings are recommended in association with pelvic muscle exercises and kegel exercises which help in bringing back the tone of musculature.
There are multiple types of pessaries and finding the right pessary, in the right size, is the key to success.
Estrogen therapy is not likely to cause a vaginal inflammation. If the symptoms are persistent then surgery may be considered. Progesterone therapy is not likely to help the muscle tone. You can discuss the treatment options with your gynecologist and get them prescribed accordingly.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.