What causes severe hot flashes in elderly age?

Yes ty . Why would a 72 yr. old woman still have sevear hot flashes.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Body not adjusted to hormone(estrogen) deficiency Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. I like to give you the explanation and some of the causes for hot flashes in elderly age. 1. During menopause the production of estrogen and progesterone is disrupted. This change in hormone levels causes the hypothalamus of the brain that controls temperature and sends out signals to causes hot flash. 2. Some elderly person suffer from them for many more years even after menopause, when the body has adjusted for the change in hormones due estrogen deficiency. Usually women who had surgically induced menopause are more likely to suffer with hot flashes for a longer time after menopause. 3. Some medications and conditions like thyroid disease, diabetes and panic disorders can cause hot flashes. 4. There may be some triggers for hot flashes like stress, alcohol, smoking and warm environment. So I advice you to try and keep stress levels to a minimum wear layered clothing, avoid using heat makers like hairdryers, eat healthy foods, and exercise regularly. Get examined by your doctor once to rule out other causes that mimics hot flashes and follow the above measures. If still you feel uncomfortable then you can try HRT after your doctor's advice. I hope this answered your query and is helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health. Regards
Follow-up: What causes severe hot flashes in elderly age? 22 hours later
would taking estrogen be a bad thing too do.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Short term estrogen is not a bad thing Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing back. Long term estrogen therapy is not recommended for vasomotor symptom. But for severe symptoms short term conjugated equine estrogen therapy is recommended. Even Medroxyprogesterone acetate is also effective in suppressing these symptoms. Before starting the Hormone Replacement Therapy and also after starting, you should have regular follow up with your doctor. You need to monitor liver enzymes, blood sugar levels and regular breast examination. If any symptoms develops need to consult your doctor just for evaluation. Hope this information is helpful for you. Wish you faster recovery and happy life. Regards