Can a broken bone cause weakness and flu symptoms?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can a broken bone cause flu- like weakness and symptoms?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A broken wrist is not likely to cause flu like symptoms like weakness. It causes pain and restriction of movement of the hand.
The flu like symptoms you are having might be related to the missing doses of tablet XXXXXXX or due to a concomitant viral illness.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Can a broken bone cause weakness and flu symptoms? 3 hours later
I have not missed any doses of carisopradol. i developed this weakness and flu-like feeling within hours of breaking my wrist & tailbone (as I learned today at ortho) hours after crashing a motor scooter into a phone poll. I have no cough, no fever but even the taste in my mouth is different. I don't understand what is happening to me.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Sometimes, severe injuries do produce such a response in the body. This is due to the release of certain chemicals called prostaglandins which are released whenever there is an injury and subsequent inflammation. This can lead to a feeling of fatigue and flu like symptoms. But this would not cause an altered taste in the mouth. I would like to know if you are taking any antibiotics or other medication apart from XXXXXXX and Endocet.
Most of the times, such symptoms do subside on taking the pain killer that you are taking for your injuries.
In case the symptoms are persistent, a thorough evaluation by your physician is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Can a broken bone cause weakness and flu symptoms? 10 hours later
No other meds accept Advil for swelling. Not taking any extra pain meds because I already have to take them for my spinal disorder. I was a pack-a-day smoker, but after the accident I have not smoked for 4 days now--due to taste alteration I mentioned.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
The alteration in taste could be related to the nicotine withdrawal as you are not smoking for last few days. These symptoms are minor and are likely to resolve spontaneously in 5-7 days.
Please do not worry.
Wishing you a trouble free early recovery.