Can a baby swim in the pacific ocean with chicken pox?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Can my 2yrs old daugther swim in the pacific ocean with chicken pox at 3rd day?
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
I really dont recommend this.
It takes at least 15 days for all the sores to heal and be scabbed over and you should not go swimming until they have all healed completely.
In early stage of infection spots still might be opened and in contact with dirty water bacterial infection might occur. YOu shouldnt take that risk. Also chicken pox is generalized infection,not just localized. By swimming you could also provoke ear or thorat infection. You can go with her to sea but odnt get her face and head wet. ALso stay away from the sunlight...
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help