Can a Echocardiogram be manipulated by the technician and medicine reverse DCM disease to increase ejection fraction ??

General Surgeon
Can a Echocardiogram be manipulated by the technician to show normal results? Last year (18 months ago) I was diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy and have had 3 Echo's since with an ejection fraction ranging from 35-45. In each of the echo's, it has been a comfortable experience. I had a echo conducted a few days ago with the Veterans Administration (Memphis) and the technician "hurt me". I thought he was going to break my ribs with the probe. I had actually told him he was going through my ribs but he didn't pay me no mind. My results came back and the test said I had a healthy heart with a 50-55% ejection factor. Comparing the other echo's to this one, it appears as though I miraculously have a healthy heart. Which leads to my second question, can medicine reverse the DCM disease to where the ejection fraction would increase like that?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later

Thanks for nice query.     

Man behind the machine is always important.

Role, skill and caliber of person operating the machine matters a lot.

It is quite difficult to intentionally manipulate or alter Echocardiogram report by just pressing the probe,

Pressing of probe is some time necessary to see things clearly, but over pressing may alter some parameters and readings resulting in unsatisfactory report.

With proper treatment dilated cardiomyopathy may respond and heart size and ejection fraction may become normal .

It will be nice on your part to have the opinion of cardiologist ,whether your heart is responding to treatment to become normal in size along with ejection fraction

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”