Can a CT reveal a hernia or a weakened structure?

Can a CT reveal a hernia or a weakened structure? I had a CT scan in March for abdominal and bowel issues which was diagnosed as an acute diverticulosis attack. It also showed a marked thickening in the sigmoid wall. A follow up colonoscopy is scheduled in two weeks to rule out neoplasm. Mother died of colon cancer. Anyway I am having more BM then I use to but they are for the most part normal so I doubt there is cancer but I do have some discomfort on the left lower side so could it be the starting of a hernia and will a colonoscopy or CT scan see it.
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

A simple clinical examination is enough to diagnose hernia.
A CT scan may show hernia. But colonoscopy will not show any hernia.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini