Can Tumeric/Ginger/Cinnamon usage interfere with my Atripla treatment for viral infection?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hi I am currently on Atripla medication. I am reading one the internet the benefits of Tumeric/Ginger/Cinnamon. I have started having my evening milk tea with the three spices. Just wondering if this could interfere with my Artipla treatment. Appreciate your opinion
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Herbals, will not interfere with the treatment. Detailed Answer: Hello, You are taking Atripla (efavirenz, emtricitabine, and tenofovir) treatment, which is an antiviral medication that attacks human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and prevents its multiplication in your body. As HIV causes suppression of immunity,food products like turmeric,ginger and cinnamon can be used to boost the immune system. These food products are rich in antioxidants that will help to reduce the release of free radicals and boost up your immunity. These food products will not interfere with the antiretroviral treatment which you are taking. I would suggest you to continue taking these herbal products along with the antiretroviral drugs. Hope you are happy with the answer, if you have any further query feel free to post them. Thank you.

Follow-up: Can Tumeric/Ginger/Cinnamon usage interfere with my Atripla treatment for viral infection? 39 minutes later
Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for your answer. I take about 1 teaspoon of each of the three turmeric ginger and cinnamon in milk tea. What daily dose would you suggest? Other good food you would suggest to boost the immune system Thank you

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can take two times a day Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to answer your query, You can take two times a day morning and in the evening, one teaspoon of each turmeric, ginger and cinnamon in milk. When your body fights against any infection you require more energy and you need to eat more than normal.It holds good for HIV infection also. Vitamin A and E rich foods like green leafy vegetables, carrot, pumpkin and papaya can be used to boost the immune system. I will be happy to answer if you have any further query. Thank you.