Can Tetralysal cause skin rash ?

i am a 41 year old male who has had bad skin all my adult life , i started taking tetralysal in january on a 6 month course, my skin cleared up in a few weeks, i continued taking the anti biotic as instructed and have roughly another month to go. however in the last 10 days i have developed a rash on both sides of my jaw line which is red and itchy , i am using the same shaving foam , moisturizer as usual , why do i have rash , what can i do
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for the query,

Tetralysal, is an antibiotic called Lymecyclin ,which come under tetracyclin group.It is usually given for either acne or for bronchitis.

It can cause allergic reaction on skin ,but the more common side effect seen to it is its photo-sensitivity .This usually happens on long term exposure to medicine. This is one possibility I see in your case for the rashes over jaw lines.

The second possibility would be as you said ,allergy to foaming cream,or reverse use of razor, or allergy to after shave lotion .This I would say less likely.

Treatment of the first condition would be use of a broad spectrum Sunscreen daily thrice .
Along with this I would prefer macrolides as an antibiotic.Oral anti histaminics for a week to suppress itching & topical steroid cream just for couple of days .

I would advise you to stop Tetralysal tablet and also consult a dermatologist for proper treatment.

I hope this would help you find a reason for the rashes and would also help find a remedy.