Can Prednisone affect thyroid test results?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
I have been diagnosed with Chrones IBD and FIbromyalgia however in a routine blood test they found my Serum Light bloods high ie 34 compared to normal -20. Urine was normal kidneys creatin up ..other kidney tests normal except for a complex cysts hammoragging around the edge.
They concerned themselves with Multiple Myloma.
However I have been on a months course of Pregdiszone..2x25 mg for 2 weeks and 1.5 x25 mgs for a week and now 1x25 mg for one week..ending tomorrow. This was because my Calprotectin bowel blood tests XXXXXXX from 200 to 1809 and I was having a major flare with Chrones. I am also on 3 mg of Salofalk a day maintenance.
However I suffer fatigue terribly and excessive random sweats to my head face neck and torso. They have found 15 nodules on my thyroid and a suspicious mass goiter on one area of my thyroid via a scan. Bloods for thyroid 6 months ago were normal.
They want to retest bloods for the light serums...now....but I am wondering if this will give a true reflection seeing I gave been on steroids for month and pregdiszone is also used to assist with multiple myloma and if multiple myloma is in its early stages could we miss something? I experience bone pain in my right arm hips etc.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
About your situation:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
As far as i can understand from your description the situation is complex and of course needs a detailed clinical examination, specific blood test, urine tests, radiological exams ect.
Bence XXXXXXX proteins usually are not enough to make the diagnosis of Multiple myeloma, radiological exams (CT scan, MRI, PET scan ect) and Bone marrow biopsy confirm the diagnosis.
Yes, prednisone may affect the diagnosis.
A painful throat with excessive sweating and a sub febrile temperature are suggestive also for subacute thyroiditis (a viral infection of the thryoid gland that lasts for months) but the clinical symptoms should have been improved a lot with the use of corticosteroids.
The clinical examination, lab results, radiological exams are very important to give further information in these cases, where many pathologies coexists.
So, you should be under close medical supervision until the diagnosis is made and the treatment is started.
Wish you good health.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Follow-up: Can Prednisone affect thyroid test results? 2 hours later
I wanted a whole body MRI but the Haemotologist informed me they can diagnose Multiple Myloma just from a blood test ...now I know differently. Thank you.

something is going on with my throat because I have swelling and develop a hoarse voice it can become really squeaky then sometimes just husky.

I actually felt the steroids affected it more..ie swelling of neck. Face ..etc
I get this achey pain in my right arm..it feels it is in the bone .deep.

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
About arm pain;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
How did your physician explain the pain?
Does he think there is no further radiological exams for it?