Can I use Betnesol and Otrivine together?

ENT Specialist
I have nasal polyps and rhinitis. I am waiting for a scan/operation. I have betnesol drops to dry and reduce swelling but find otrivine the only thing that helps me breath. Can I use betnesol and otrivine together? XXXX
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: can use together Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, You can use otrivin and betnesol drops together. Otrivin is over the counter but betnesol needs a prescription. Betnesol is a steroid so i would recommend that you should get examined by a doctor before you start it. Also otrivin cannot be used for more than 6 days at a time since it causes side effects. You can talk to your doctor about steroid sprays as well. They are easier to administer. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Follow-up: Can I use Betnesol and Otrivine together? 4 hours later
What does an operation to remove polyps involve?
Brief Answer: endoscopic sinus surgery Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Extensive polyps have to be removed surgically. Smaller polyps can be managed with inhaled steroids. Endoscopic sinus surgery is performed for removal of polyps. An endoscope will be inserted into your nose and the picture is visualised on a monitor. Under visualisation the polyps will be carefully removed from the nose and sinuses. Endoscope ensures complete visualisation of all the sinuses hence the removal of the polyps will be close to 100 %. This surgery is usually performed under general aneasthesia and you will feel no pain. Recovery can take anywhere between 2 days to 10 days. You will have a nose pack for 2 days during which you have to breathe through the mouth. Even after the surgery you will have to be on prolonged course of inhaled steroid to prevent recurrence. Also regular follow up is required to spot an early recurrence. With extensive polyposis recurrence is quite common and if it is extensive then has to be managed with repeat surgery. The procedure is safe in expert hands and is the only option for extensive nasal polyposis. All the best, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.