Can I take voltaren for sore neck while on warfarin?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am on warfarin. I have been recommended to purchase voltaren which I have done. It's enclosure warns about being on warfarin. I'm on a 3days ship's cruise. Is it possible to use voltaren for a sore neck (diagnosed as arthritis,)in this time.?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chander Mohan Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: No. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your problem. One thing you must know is that,if you are taking oral blood thinners or anticoagulants (for example, warfarin [Coumadin]) you should avoid diclofenac because diclofenac also thins the blood, and excessive blood thinning may lead to bleeding. You must know that warfarin begins to reduce blood clotting within 24 hours after taking the drug. The full effect may take 72 to 96 hours to occur. The anti-clotting effects of a single dose of warfarin lasts two to five days.So you should not take voltraen along with warfarin. Instead you can take dihydro-codeine and paracetamol as it is the preferred painkiller for occasional use when taking warfarin. But still you have to consult your physicain. In future whenever you went to any doctor first tell him/her that you are taking warfarin. I hope you have get your answer. You are welcome to ask further health related query. Thanks. Dr.Singh.