Can I take primolut while smoking?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was just wondering what could happen when taking primolut while smoking. I have to take these tablets for 7 days to help with falling pregnant...
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 30 minutes later

Primolut-N is used as medication to facilitate timing of menstrual periods, treatment for Dysfunctional uterine bleeding, Endometriosis and Secondary amenorrhea.

This is not a contraceptive by itself. It does not prevent pregnancy by itself. You will need to exercise other methods of pregnancy prevention like practicing safe sex by using condom.

This hormone will only help to control uterine bleeding and will also facilitate withdrawal bleed, hence pregnancy must not occur otherwise high chance of miscarriage is expected.

Avoid smoking because this medicine tends to make the blood thick and increase chances of blood clots. This risk is increased if you smoke. Kindly do avoid smoking while on this hormonal medication.

If you only want to prevent pregnancy, use combined oral contraceptive pills. This will help in preventing pregnancy to a high extent. Kindly do discuss with your Doctor for a thorough clinical examination before being started on pills.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Can I take primolut while smoking? 2 hours later
I am taking this medication to help me to fall pregnant. It has been prescribed for me to take before I start serophene. Can I skip taking the primolut and just start the serophene? I'm really anxious about taking the primolut because of the risks and because I do smoke. Not many. I smoke 10 smokes a day and plan to quit but I do want to fall pregnant really soon...
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later

Thanks for the reply.

Primolut-N will be needed to help regularize your cycles before you can take Serophene.

You may experience withdrawal bleeding once you are asked to stop Primolut-N. After that you will be started on Serophene for fertility management.

You must continue taking Primolut-N till the day your Doctor has advised. Avoid smoking at all since if you do get pregnant, the fetus is prone to congenital anomalies and chance of miscarriage as well. Please do not smoke. You may consult your Doctor in helping you find it difficult to stop smoking. Avoid caffeine and alcohol during pregnancy as well.

Wishing safe pregnancy.

Follow-up: Can I take primolut while smoking? 12 minutes later
My intensions is defiantly to quit smoking. If I quit tomorrow will I be ok to start primolut 3 days later? I would never smoke while pregnant , nor do I drink alcohol or caffeine. My husband and I have wanted this for a long while. We would never risk the health of our unborn..

Thank you do much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Am glad you decided to stop smoking. You may start Primolut-N after a couple of days after informing your Doctor of the decision.

Kindly get regular Antenatal checkups during your pregnancy as well to make sure everything is going fine with your baby.

Consume a balanced diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do daily moderate exercise. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily.

Wishing safe and happy pregnancy.

Follow-up: Can I take primolut while smoking? 26 hours later
Hi. Sorry to bother you again.. I just have another question about primulot N, what are the chances of blood clots forming? Is there a chance this tablet could cause me serious harm?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later

There is a slightly increased risk of clots being formed after taking the tablet for long term use as in months of use. Smoking cigarettes significantly increases this risk.

There are side effects of this medication. If you have migraine, heart disorders, liver disorders, previous history of blood clots, this medication cannot be taken.

It can commonly cause headache, feeling of bloating, nausea, breast tenderness, abdominal pain etc.

Kindly get a full clinical examination by your Doctor to look for any such problems before you are started on this medication.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Can I take primolut while smoking? 1 hour later
So I should be pretty safe to take them for a length of 7 days?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later

You may experience some mild side effects as mentioned. If they are un-manageable you may consult your Doctor.

Wishing good health.