Can I take oxy elite pro while taking levothyroxine?

Question
Can I take oxy elite pro while taking levothyroxine 75 mcg?
can i take them both at the same time?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Oxyelite pro increases the serotonin levels in the body. Oxyelite pro contains Bauhinia purpurea extract, a herbal ingredient which is thought to cause a natural adjustment in thyroid hormone levels T3 and T4.

T3 hormone is partly responsible for your metabolic rate and if you are having hypothyroidism and taking levothyroxine then it is advisable not to take oxylite pro as it may interfere with the thyroid management of the drug.

If you are to take oxyelite pro, then take it only under your endocrinologist’s supervision.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Can I take oxy elite pro while taking levothyroxine? 34 minutes later
i only have thyroid problems not hormonal problems. Should i still not take oxyelite pro?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Levothyroxine is a replacement for a hormone that is normally produced by your thyroid gland to regulate the body's energy and metabolism. This medicine is given when the thyroid does not produce enough of this hormone on its own. In other words, it is given in hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism means that your thyroid gland is not making enough thyroid hormone.

As you are suffering from hypothyroidism, oxyelite pro may worsen the condition. Hence, it is advisable not to take this drug.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries, then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Regards.