Can I take lexapro when needed like Valium or Xanax?

Can I take lexapro on a as needed basis like I would a valium or zanex?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not helpful on use depending on need basis.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

All these medicines used for anxiety and depressive symptoms.

In drug treatment of anxiety two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines (like valium or zanax) are used for short duration or according to need basis (due to risk of dependence).

For long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Lexapro are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect. It is not useful on use for short term (like according to need basis). Even this increase anxiety for 2-3 days on initiation of use.

All these medicines are prescription medicine and given after in person examination by physician.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.