Can I take glycomet along with telmisartan?

can i take glycomet 500 along with telmisartan 40 my blood sugar is 120 fasting and 294 pp and bpis 150/100
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

This combination is ok unless you have a pre-existing renal disease or if you do not have any circumstances where you have to starve.

I would not recommend this combination in only these circumstances; else the above combination can be used with regular follow up visits to your treating doctor.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification.

Follow-up: Can I take glycomet along with telmisartan? 18 minutes later
there is no renal disease and neither any chance of starvation what will be the best combination in my case and i want a medicine specialist opinion
Answered by Dr. Prasad 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below...

Detailed Answer:
This question came to my dash board since you opted for Ask a doctor; you are given an opportunity to choose the specialist on Ask a Specialist. Moreover I have been associated in treating patients with diabetes and hypertension for the last few years, hence I opted to answer your question.

To answer your query about the best combination; the right combination is individualized based on doctor's preference, the tolerance of patient and its response to the therapy. One combination of medication that suits can produce a completely different effects in another individual. If you aren't happy with your treating doctor's combination, then you can choose to take opinion from couple of experts and discuss with your treating doctor.

Based on my experience with diabetes and hypertension patients, I prefer combination therapy - metformin + sulfanylurea (glimepride) or Gliptin (sitagliptiin) for diabetes. I prefer gliptin with metformin, if patient can afford the medication as they are priced slightly higher. With this group of drugs, I add either angiotension receptor blocker or ACE inhibitor or calcium channel blocker for hypertension.
This combination has worked in most of my patients with type 2 diabetes and hypertension with no other medical problems. Offcourse the dose and frequency has to be titrated with regular follow up based on blood sugar and blood pressure readings.

I hope this is helpful. You are free to ask clarifications or choose for another opinion.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Can I take glycomet along with telmisartan? 4 hours later

i want to take a medical specialist opinin
Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please choose ask a specialist package...

Detailed Answer:
You have opted for Ask a Doctor (GP package) and that's why I got this opportunity. Please choose Ask a Specialist package where you can be able to discuss this topic with specialist of your choice.

Wish you good luck!!