Can I take a melatonin supplement with xanax?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I take the anti-anxiety medication xanax...Can i take a melatonin supplement at bedtime?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
There are no known interactions between these two medications so it is not contraindicated. However these both have sedative effect and it may cause tiredness or too much sleepiness and sometime lower heart beat frequency.
So if you have just started to take xanax try not to use melatonin for few days and see will xanax have enough positive effect for your sleep disorder. If not,then continue with melatonin,but take it at least 2 hours apart. If you notice breathing difficulties,chest pain or vertigo after taking it,visit doctor as soon as possible,but as I said,some serious side effects have not been reported.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards