Can I stop Cipralex and take Duloxetine for chronic neck pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have been suffering from chronic neck pain. I am on 5 mg of Cipralex for the last month. It has not helped. I have been advised to switch to 20 mg of Duloxetine. Can I stop Cipralex today & start the new drug tomorrow. Tks
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can stop Cipralex and start Duloxetine. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. As both Cipralex and Duloxetine are serotonin reputake inhibitor, you can stop Cipralex and start Duloxetine. For spondyilitis and chronic neck pain you have to do cervical isometric exercises to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care

Follow-up: Can I stop Cipralex and take Duloxetine for chronic neck pain? 23 minutes later
Why am I being prescribed an anti depressants for chronic neck and cervical epic pain ? Sorry that should read 'Why am I being prescribed an anti depressant for chronic neck pain and cervicogenic headaches ? Are not these very low does ? Many thanks. '

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Low doses of antidepressant medicines relieve pain Detailed Answer: Hi, In higher doses, antidepressants can help to relieve symptoms of depression. Low doses of antidepressant medicines relieve pain. It is known that they can improve sleep. This may in turn improve your ability to cope with pain. This is the reason that low doses of antidepressant are prescribed to you for chronic neck pain.

Follow-up: Can I stop Cipralex and take Duloxetine for chronic neck pain? 30 minutes later
Should I take it at night to sleep better ?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is better to take it at night . Detailed Answer: Hi, It is better to take it at night to sleep better .