Ask a Urologist   »  

Can I consult a urologist for urine infection ?

hi i have an appointment with a urologist and i would like to get an initial consultation from another doctor before i go in to help me go in there better prepared

Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

Your symptoms need medical attention and a detailed evaluation by a urologist. Some of the causes which can be responsible for these symptoms are:
1) Infections of the prostate, bladder, or seminal vesicles and interstitial cystitis (chronic disease of the urinary bladder associated with pain associated with the bladder, pain associated with urination and pain during ejaculation).
2) Gonorrheal infections
3) Urethritis or prostatitis
You need a comprehensive profile of investigations including semen examination, culture, urine culture and examination, PSA levels, STD panel for gonorrhea, swab samples and a cystoscopy if needed to rule out any urethritis.
First you need to see a doctor,get a swab test to confirm the diagnosis.
You will have to take a course of antibiotics.
Abstain from sex until your infection is resolved.
You need to maintain good hygiene.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.