Can I conceive naturally with PCOD and normal periods?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Sir/Madam, I have two questions: Question 1. My count is 25 million/ml (4 ml of ejaculation), motility 15%, morphology - 2%. Doctor has advised following medicines for 90 days. a. Paternia (2 tab a day) b. Tamoxifen 10 mg (2 tab a day) c. Provironum 25 mg (3 tab a day) d. Becozinc (1 tab a day) Can above medicines do wonder on me so that we achieve natural pregnancy !! Question 2. My wife has been diagnosed with PCOD but she is having normal periods. does this mean that she is producing egg and that egg is flowing to the fallopian tube without any problem? She is overweight with hairs on face and feet. will this effect on achieving natural pregnancy. Thanks for answering my queries. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Treatment is emperical. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , Welcome to XXXXXXX Whatever medicines you are receiving are given empirically, meaning it may OR may not work. Only after 3 months you will come to know if it worked. Sperm morphology appears to be too low to allow natural pregnancy & its less likely to improve with medicines. So better to go for some treatment for pregnancy like IUI (Intrauterine insemination: Husband's sperm is processed in laboratory & best motile sperm injected in wife's uterus around ovulation) OR IVF. The good thing about your semen analysis is good volume, giving high total sperm count, which may allow simple treatment of IUI to work. One better way to take specific treatment is to do hormonal evaluation (FSH, Testosterone, E2, TSH & Prolactin) if not already done & take specific treatment if any deficiency is detected. You can also get yourself examined by urologist/andrologist for varicocele (back-flow of blood in testis) & if present get treated to improve semen parameters. Regarding wife, normal regular menses means normal production of eggs in 98-99% cases. There is 1-2% chance that even with regular menses egg is not being produced. Simplest way to check egg production is to do one blood test (serum progesterone) on day 21 of menstrual cycle (7 days before next expected menses). For flowing of egg in the fallopian tube if she never had pelvic infection in past (foul smelling vaginal discharge associated with lower abdominal pain & fever), you should not worry. If you want to check patency of tubes, it can be done by simple tests like sonosalpingography/hysterosalpingography. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.
Follow-up: Can I conceive naturally with PCOD and normal periods? 1 hour later
Thanks sir for your input. You rightly diagnosed about varicocele. I do have mild varicocele for which doctor have advised me not to go for operation. But they also didn't gave me any oral medicine. Does running or walking can cure my low morphology which I hope is due my mild varicocele only.
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Exercise has no effect on morphology. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX , Welcome back. Mild varicocele normally doesn't alter morphology & doesn't need operation. Varicocele can't be cured by oral medicine. Running or walking has no effect low sperm morphology. The things which might improve sperm parameters are: 1. Keep testes at low temperature: Avoid prolonged sitting/standing. Avoid applying hot water to genitalia during bath, you can apply warm/cold water. Avoid tight fitting undergarments. 2. Eat food containing antioxidants: Fruits, dry-fruits & green leafy vegetables. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.
Thanks sir. I am very much satisfied with the your expert response. My last question is - will my morphology and motility will increase if I manage to increase anti oxident in my body?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: May be. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome back. Motility may increase with antioxidants, but morphology is very less likely to increase. Morphology is indicative of genetic capability & it can't be altered with medicines OR food supplements. In very rare case morphology can improve. Better option is to go for active treatment like IUI or IVF after 3 months if there is no optimum improvement. Regards.