Can Colchicine be taken with Diclofenac for gout?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Can i take colchicine and diclofenac/naproxsyn at the same time for gout?

Gout attack in left hand centred at the ring finger base joint to palm.
Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

For acute gout, the 1st line of drug is NSAID's (diclofenac/naproxen). Because of side effects like abdominal cramps, diarrhea etc., Colchicine is preferred as 2nd line of drug. Combining both the drugs might increase the gastro-intestinal side effects. Otherwise there is not much of drug-to-drug interactions between colchicine /NSAID's. Except for initial few days of acute flare-up of gout the combination is never preferred or needed.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.