Can Bayer Back and Body for pain relief cause gout?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi, I have lower back problems (spinal stenosis) and have used Bayer Back and Body for pain and it works for me I take the XXXXXXX allowed daily dose. Recently, I have started to haves issue with my right foot...pain in the big toe and the front part of the bottom of my foot is very painful, I believe this may be gout I suspect the Bayer may be causing the problem, should I be taking something else such as Aleve, I cannot tolerate narcotic pain meds.
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please monitor blood pressure when usig Aleve.... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical history and am happy to know that Bayer Back and Body is allevating your pain. It contains a combination of aspirin and caffeine giving the maximum for pain-relief. If gout is suspected, I suggest to run blood tests to further evaluate your situation: - uricemia - complete blood work - liver/kidney function - ERS, fibrinogen, CRP If gout is concluded, should start proper treatment with allopurinol together with lifestyle and diet changes. Aleve is another good alternative to relieve your pain. Its main active ingredient is Naproxen, another strong NSAID used to treat different types of aches. However, please bare in mind that Aleve can raise blood pressure, that's why I strongly suggest to discuss it further with your doctor before changing therapy. Both of them, Bayer Back and Body and Aleve are not opioid drugs. Hope it was of help! Dr.Bardha