CT scan showed mild frontal atrophy. Advise?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
CT scan showed mild frontal atrophy.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mild frontal atrophy is a minor finding

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Mild frontal atrophy refers to mild shrinkage of brain in the frontal (front) aspect, and is a non-specific finding. There is no need to worry about it.

Also, we need to correlate the CT scan findings with clinical symptoms. If you have memory loss and impairment of other cognitive functions, then, the findings may be significant. However, in my opinion, this finding is not likely to be significant. I see many CT scans of patients with headache, who have mild frontal atrophy, and on follow up, they have remained well without any memory impairment.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: CT scan showed mild frontal atrophy. Advise? 14 hours later
Would an MRI be beneficial? CT scan was ordered because of flushing feeling that started in the stomach and went to head and face. Barium swallow showed small hernia. Results of CT worried me so PCP ordered MRI. Thoughts???

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI would be beneficial.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

MRI of brain would be beneficial, as it would give us detailed information about the brain. However, I do not expect any significant abnormalities in MRI, as you have no symptoms related to brain dysfunction. In neurology, one has to correlate CT or MRI findings to the clinical picture. Isolated CT scan findings without any clinical symptoms are not significant.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: CT scan showed mild frontal atrophy. Advise? 8 hours later
Thank you. So would you have ordered an MRI with no other symptoms present?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would not have ordered MRI

Detailed Answer:
HI,
Thank you for getting back.

Let me clarify - I would not have ordered for an MRI if you had no symptoms. I would have reassured you and followed you up.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)