CT scan showed mesentery lymphoma but could not confirm it. What does that mean?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
my mother was just in the ER and CT scan was done with contrast and doc says it showed mesentery lymphoma but could not confirm it...what does that mean? does that mean she has cancer?
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
further tests is required.probably lymphoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for the query.

it means that ct scan verified enlarged lymph node. Ct isn't specific for lymphoma and it is accurate in about 50-60% cases. Enlarged mesenterial lymph tissue can be seen in mesenterial lymphadenitis, any other abdominal inflammation and in some other benign conditions. But considering medical history and ct suspect of lymphoma, I think that it is likely to be lymphoma which is hematologic cancer and it is rare tumour. Some more tests can rule this out such as biopsy and specific blood tests but don't expect good news. This cancer has unpredictable prognosis. It is less agressive than cancer in other abdominal organs, but outcome depends on tumor stage and metastasis.
it is surgically resected and than chemo is necessary. 50% of patient can achieve 5year survival. All in all,this is something to be concerned,but there is some chance that it is benign. If not,you should encourage her to have enough strength for surgery and chemo which she may need in future. Wish you good health,if you have any questions I ll be glad to help.