CT scan result of temporal bone. Have menier's disease & vestibular migraine. What does report mean?

I had a CT scan of my temporal bone with and without contrast on Saturday and the results are: "partial opacification of a few of the left inferior mastoid air cells. XXXXXXX diagnosis; "minimal left inferior mastoid disease". I have Meniere's Disease and vestibular migraine.
What is minimal left inferior mastoid disease? Thanks for your help.
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding mastoid disease, is an inflammation of mucosal lining of mastoid antrum and mastoid air cell system inside mastoid process. Mastoid process is the portion of the temporal bone of the skull that is behind the ear.

Normally mastoid contains air-containing spaces which is appears as empty spaces on CT scan. If mastoid is infected these air spaces are replaced by fluid and appears as opacified on the X rays and CT scans. Often mastoiditis is treated with antibiotics and sometimes with surgery.

As you have very minimal mastoid disease a course of antibiotics would be sufficient to control the infection in the mastoids. My recommendation would be for you to see your ENT surgeon for examination of the middle ear & consultation.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.