CT scan report of brain showed bilateral partial mastoid sclerosis. What does it mean?

In the CT scan report of brain it is written as bilateral partial mastoid sclerosis. What does it mean and what is its treatment
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hardening & decreased air cell size. Relax. Examination would be ideal

Detailed Answer:

Your reports says bilateral and partial sclerosis of mastoid.

It means sclerosis of the mastoid air cells. Sclerosis means hardening and decrease in air cell size that occurs due to chronic infection. This condition can sometimes indicate undiagnosed chronic middle ear infection.

If you have any symptoms of middle ear infection like pain in ear, on and off fever, lymph nodes around ear then you may require acute management with antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs.

If no complaints, since it is partial no need to worry but I advice you to discuss once with your ENT specialist to discuss on the management. If the sclerosis progress then you may require surgical procedure called mastoidectomy to clear the infection and to open the air cells.

Hope this answered your query. No need to worry now but discuss with your doctor once for examination and management. Feel free to ask me if any related query. I will be happy to answer you.

Wish you good health.