Burst appendix, antibiotics, nausea, upset stomach, cramps, blood in urine

hello. i had a a burst appendix three weeks ago had it removed and drains fitted with iv antibiotics. however since the surgery my stomach has been all over the place I have not been able to eat without nausea upset stomach, cramps, I was back in the drs yesterday with severe stomach cramps and they found high amounts of blood in the urine.I was given antibiotics painkillers anti spasm drugs?? any thoughts greatly appreciated as im moving country in two weeks and am worried i wont be well enough.
i also have a toddler and was wondering if its ok now to carry her??I have been told six weeks no lifting but wanted to double check
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

It seems that you had developed an urinary tract infection during your hospital stay
(Probably you were catheterised). The abdominal symptoms you were experiencing all this time were probably related to infection itself and the blood in urine is also probably due to infection.

You need to be investigated further with Ultrasound KUB and Urine culture and sensitivity. You have already been started on ciprofloxacin but there is a possibility that you may not respond to this antibiotic as it is probably hospital acquired infection and is thus likely to be
resistant to most of antibiotics.

In the meantime you should start yourself on T.Alfuzosin 10 mg once daily after discussing with your doctor and getting it prescribed from him and get back to me with investigations.

As far as lifting you are child is concerned I need to know what was size of the scar? However, it is generally advisable to avoid any strenous activity for the first 6 weeks.

Hoping to hear from you soon