Burning sensation in throat, vomiting, drank dettol by accident. Treatment ?

ENT Specialist
hi, I have drank some dettol (approx 20 ml) by mistake. there is no hospital near me & my throat is paining. I have vomitted but its paining. Please suggest me what to do
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 33 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. A small amount of Dettol liquid is not XXXXXXX but it can irritate the delicate lining (mucosa) of the airway, lungs, food pipe and stomach.

2. The irritation or allergy due to chloroxylenol may lead to XXXXXXX swelling after a few hours, hence I recommend that you consult a doctor immediately, especially if you have cough or difficulty in breathing, in which case you may be admitted for observation.

3. Have a few tablespoons of Liquid Paraffin IP (medical grade) if available to dilute the traces of dettol and to soothe the XXXXXXX linings. Dettol does not dissolve completely in water.

4. I will again stress that since you have vomited out some of the dettol liquid and if the quantity was under 20 ml, there should be no major cause for worry.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Burning sensation in throat, vomiting, drank dettol by accident. Treatment ? 4 hours later
I have burning sensation in my throat but no breathing problems. After how many hours of having dettol can I find myself safe. I has been 6 hours since I had dettol, after how many hours can I be assured that there is no problem going further.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The standard observation time period is 24 - 48 hours.

2. If you are fine after this time, there will be no late complications as the quantity was small.

3. You may have Liquid Paraffin, cold milk or even water to soothe the burning sensation in your throat.

You may gargle with Tantum oral rinse which numbs the throat.

After admission, injectable painkillers may be given. Oral painkillers are contraindicated as they may worsen the gastritis.

Wish you a speedy recovery,