Burning sensation in stomach, gets better on eating food, worse during mornings. Causes?

General Surgeon
i have a burning in my stomach that is better after eating. it is worse in the early morning.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 37 minutes later
Thanks for nice query.     
Burning in the empty stomach is suggestive of duodenal ulcer .

In case duodenal ulcer pain is relieved by food and it increases as the the stomach gets empty,so worse in the early morning .

On the contrary gastric ulcer gets worse with taking of food and relived by empty stomach.

70–90% of such ulcers are associated with Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that lives and flourishes in the acidic environment of the stomach.

Ulcers can also be caused or worsened by drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs.

So avoid such medicines which can precipitate the sign and symptoms .

Proper course of drugs for Helicobacter pylori after consultation with gastroenterologist is advisable .

Change in diet habits like taking plenty of milk and avoiding tea ,coffee and spicy foods also helps .

Antacids and H2 blockers and protons pump inhibitors also help to some extent.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery