Burning ribs, pain in side. Abnormal stools, gas. What is wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
both of my ribs or sides, i dont really know where it is but it seems to burn sometime, It doesn't really hurt, but I do sometimes get a sharp pain on the left or right side which only lasts about 5-10 seconds, It's doesn't really hurt long enough for me to stop what I'm doing and bend over, but It's enough to let my brain know that it hurt. Another thing is about 3 weeks ago I noticed that my poop is not normal like it should be, It doesn't hurt to poop and I don't really have to strain to poop, I have noticed that I do have gas when I try and have a bowel movement. I know I have to go but it doesn't come out like it should. I used to be able to eat at a fast food restaurant and go to the bathroom within 20 minutes-3 hrs. Now it comes out almost squirty like diarrhea, But I don't think it is. What could be wrong?? Please help?
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
HI AAAAA
Your ribs problem and gastric problem were started on the same time or at different time?
Your both problem appears to be different.
Do you have spasmodic abdominal pain/ vomiting/ fever/ abdominal bloating/ excessive flatulence?
Your gastric problem (frequent use of washroom with diarrhea) appears to be acute bacterial gastroenteritis.
have you taken some edible from some outsource restaurant?
You should consult with physician / gastro-physician and should take complete antibiotic course, antispasmodics, probiotics.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, renal function test, x XXXXXXX abdomen, and stool examination.
Your chest problem may be neuropathic pain, muscular pain, bilateral lung or pleural pathology.
You should consult with respiratory physician and neurologist.
You should go for chest x XXXXXXX as preliminary investigations.
Put your views also if any.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Burning ribs, pain in side. Abnormal stools, gas. What is wrong? 12 hours later
you said complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, renal function test, x XXXXXXX abdomen, and stool examination.. Why should I go for that. I'm not having chest problems or pains. Yes it did start at the same time, the day it started I was playing videogames and I was drinking alot of cokes/ candy. I finally had a bowel movement this morning that wasen't squirty, it came out like it should. Sometimes when I lay on my right side, I have to move because it's kinda uncomfortable. Also I can press in near the top of my right side rib and it feels kinda bruised, also when I grab something that I have to reach for with my right hand, I can sometimes feel a little burn or discomfort near the right rib, sometimes it switches from the right side to the left side, but it seems to mainly be on the right side.. What exactly is acute bacterial gastroenteritis and no I don't have any abdominal pain/fever/ vomiting or anything like that. Is this something that I should be concerned about as I have very little Insurance Coverage.

Thanks XXXXXXX
Follow-up: Burning ribs, pain in side. Abnormal stools, gas. What is wrong? 19 minutes later
also, sometimes when I am sitting I can feel a sharp pain in my lower back that seems to subside in after a few seconds.. I was diagnosed with back spasms a few months ago which i had to leave work for a few days because I just couldn't do anything...

Hi AAAAA
This is our presumption that you are suffering from acute bacterial gastroenteritis but still there are few possibilities.
Complete blood count (for any type of infection whether gastroenteritis or chest infection), ultrasound imaging (for abdominal pathology apart from gastroenteritis), renal function test (for kidney status in any type of infection), x XXXXXXX abdomen (for abdominal pathology apart from gastroenteritis), and stool examination (for gastroenteritis) has been advised.
There may be another possibility of acute cholecystitis as presence of pain on right sided ribs.
You may should consult with orthopedic surgeon for your back problem.
You back problem is prolapsed disc or simple muscle spasm.
You should also go for x ary lumbosacral spine for better clarification.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Burning ribs, pain in side. Abnormal stools, gas. What is wrong? 2 hours later
Alright Thanks Doctor.. How much do these tests usually cost, any idea would be helpful and is this something that I should be concerned about as I have myself worrying sick or can I just relax until I can see a Doctor about these tests?

Thanks Again-AAAA

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 hours later
Hi AAAAA
These tests are not so much costly and in spite of waiting, you should go ahead.
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava