Burning legs, flushing face, nausea, puffy face, belching, weakness in hand. MRI okay. Any ideas?

On and off burning sensations in legs, on and off flushing of face (my face is "puffy" all the time now), episodes of nausia and queasy (seem to belch a lot at the time of the episode??) one espisode while driving and right side went weak (hand fell from stearing wheel and I got dizzy). MRI and ct of head and neck OK. Being tested for carcinoid. Labs look good. thyroid ok. any Ideas
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 11 hours later

Regarding the burning feet which is episodic can be due to many causes. In the back ground of facial flushing, I would like to consider “Erythromelalgia” as one of the possibility. Erythromelalgia is only a syndrome and has many causes. Other possibilities are alcohol related (if any), vasculitis and autonomic neuropathy. You may discuss about these possibilities with your doctor.

The tingling and burning nature of erythromelalgia pain may resemble a neuropathy, and because burning pain sometimes precedes erythema for months, differentiation can be difficult.

Regarding the episode of transient weakness of the right hand with dizziness, possibility one should immediately consider is a vascular event like “Transient ischemic attack” and needs evaluation to exclude other causes.

So I personally feel you need a good clinical examination from Neurologist as well as Dermatologist for detailed evaluation and consultation.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist