Bumps on groin, chest, back, elbows and buttocks. Scabies, bed bugs or allergic reaction?

Hi. I went to three doctors and they all gave me three different answers. I have been itching constantly day and night and have red bumps all over my body from the neck down. My first doctor told me I have scabbies so I got treated. Did the five percent cream and took cephalexin for secondary infection. Second Dr. told me it's not scabbies or else you would have it on your fingers and toes. She said it was bed bugs. We changed our mattress. Then, I finally went to a Dermatologist. He scrapped my skin and checked it under a microscope and did not see any mites or eggs. He said it could be an allergic reaction. Prescribed me Methylprenisolone tablets and Triamcinolone cream. I am going crazy!!! I do not have bumps on my wrists, web of fingers, my toes or nipples. Only near my groin, a few on my chest and back and above my elbows and below my buttocks. Who do I believe?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Follow-up: Bumps on groin, chest, back, elbows and buttocks. Scabies, bed bugs or allergic reaction? 3 minutes later
Do I have scabbies?
Follow-up: Bumps on groin, chest, back, elbows and buttocks. Scabies, bed bugs or allergic reaction? 1 hour later
I recently dyed my hair before halloween also it has been 2-3 months that I changed my Tide to Tide with downey. I use the same brand hair shampoo but changed the scent to XXXXXXX and mint. Those are the only things I have changed.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 6 hours later

I understand your health concern and the confusions that you are going through now.

I am sorry I am unable to view the picture/ report that you have uploaded. Please do not mind to send it again. It would help me to a great extent in giving you my specific opinion.

However, here are my suggestions:

The itching of Scabies is more at night and the bumps etc. may occur both in Scabies and Bed bugs. The treatment for both remain the same with the only difference that mattresses need to be changed in bed bugs.

Also, in case of Scabies the whole family needs to apply Permethrin 5% cream for an overnight on the same day. This is a prescription drug, so please get yourself examined and prescribed from your doctor.

After the Permethrin treatment is complete topical steroids are usually prescribed for a couple of weeks because the reaction to mite antigens take time to vanish from body and hence the itching subsides only after a couple of weeks.

In case no new lesions are erupting and earlier lesions are getting crusted and healing, there is nothing to worry.

A variant of Scabies in sexually active people presents as bumps restricted to genital area though the treatment remains the same.

Hope you have found answers to your doubts. I am awaiting the pictures of the lesions and also your follow up queries, if any.

Dr. Rohit Batra