Bump with raised skin, burning, pain, redness, tingling. Any suggestions?

So I received this bump / hole with raised skin around it on my face on Tuesday it just randomly showed up and was really strange. It started out looking like a hole in the middle with skin tissue raised up around it. After the day went by I came home and scratched the raised skin off and it was just a hole and seemed a little bit better the next day, but It still burned and hurt. Then last night it was really bothering me but I just washed my face and went to sleep. The attatched pictures are what it looks like this morning. It has somewhat of a red ring around it and it burns, hurts, and tingles. Any suggestions? Please help!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question and pictures.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations here.

I suspect that what you are experiencing is a mild infection of the skin. This is commonly caused by certain bacteria which generally are present on the skin surface but sometimes can cause an infection if there is a tiny break in the surface of the skin.

These will usually resolve within a couple of days but sometimes additional measures need to be taken to help improve the infection. This might include a prescription for a topical antibiotic or possibly an at about it what you take by mouth or possibly both.

I would have to say that in your case if the symptoms do not start to improve within the next 24 hours that you should touch base with your scar formation.

you could possibly use some topical antibiotic ointment such as bacitracin until you are able to touch base with your doctor. I would also discourage you from using any vigorous scrubbing or picking at this area. This can sometimes prolong the healing process.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert