Bump on the left side of the head, just above the ear, painful on touching. Causes and treatment ?

ENT Specialist
Question
i have a bump on the left side of my head just above the ear and it hurts when touch. any suggestion...please? i'm 46 years old no medical history
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hello.

The bump on the left side of the head above your ear could be a lymph node.

Lymph nodes are part of the of the immune system helps in fighting against infections. They are like police man of our body, it pops out whenever there is ongoing infection in the vicinity and become inflamed or enlarged. The conditions may range from trivial infections such as a throat infection, to life-threatening such as cancers.

With respect to your condition the swelling above the ear could be either because of scalp infection such as dandruff, folliculitis, boil, etc. or infection in the ear canal.

You need to take pain relievers such as dicolfenac/ibuprofen and an antibiotic after the consultation of your doctor. Avoid using any ear buds to clean the ear and drink plenty of water to keep you well hydrated.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Bump on the left side of the head, just above the ear, painful on touching. Causes and treatment ? 5 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX your reply was very helpful. I do have another question, how long does it usually take for it to go away?

Thank you very much

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Hi

Welcome back.

The inflamed and enlarged lymph nodes usually disappear within a week or two once the antibiotics are started. Occasionally, it will remain unchanged even after the infection has subsided but it will be harmless.

So, in your case the lymph nodes in the peri-aural region may disappear within a couple of weeks if you start oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines as soon as possible.

Wish you good health

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon