Bump on forehead. Is getting itchy, red and sore. Should I seek medical attention?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have had a bump on my forehead for many years - I believe it is a haematoma from going through a windscreen when I was a child. Lately the bump is getting itchy and sometimes gettting red and sore. Should I go and see someone or not worry about it
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later

Your History is suggestive of a trauma in childhood, an organised haematoma can get infected and present as a red itchy and tender swelling in late age.

Before confirming the diagnosis, I need one clarification - Was there any swelling may be a small one present at the same site before injury?

If yes, there are chances this was a cyst which has got infected.

If no, it is a hematoma which is infected.

In either case, you need to see a surgeon, control infection and get it incised and removed.

Hope, I have cleared your doubts. Do accept my reply if there are no further queries.