Bump after leg injury, minimal pain and bruising even after some weeks. Do I need to get an X-ray to diagnose this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
25 days ago while breaking firewood by stomping on it, a limb hit my lower right Tibia with pretty good force on the upper inside portion of my leg, about 2 inches below my knee. A large bump developed over the next 24 hours, but with minimal pain and bruising. I assumed that it was a simple hemotoma or contusion that should disappear in a couple of weeks. But still now, the bump persists and is the same size (roughly 3 cm round and 1cm high off the bone). I would classify the pain while touching (pushing) as mild to moderate, and I feel absolutely no pain while standing or walking. The bump feels fairly hard. Do I really need to go get an xray to diagnose this, or is there any danger in waiting another 2-3 weeks?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The small bump under your knee seems to be due to a hematoma or a fracture is highly unlikely as there is no pain during weight bearing.
You can wait for next 2-3 weeks for this lump to resolve on its own. Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation in the area for an early recovery.
Also you need to self monitor it for any increase in size, pain , fever, etc in which case you need to consult your orthopedician to rule out any local infection.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.