Bruises in knee and calf, hematoma, drainage, surgery, alternative therapies

Recently I was in an auto accident. I have brusies to my knee, XXXXXXX and calf area. I go to physical therapy for my knee and it seems to be helping but the area on my XXXXXXX has a large lump and dark red line across it with discoloration below (towards my ankle) I have taken antibiotics for it to rule out celulitis. I have also applied heat and ice for a hematoma. In the begining the lump was soft as if there was fluid build up but now it is becoming very hard. I have a throbing pain near the site as well as pain and tingling that radiates to the back of my calf and ankle. I have also been checked multiple times for blood clots. I know that a hematoma takes time to reabsorb and heal however I am feeling more pain as time goes on (it has been 1 month) My general doctor keeps refering me to the ortho that is taking care of my knee and the ortho keeps telling me to talk to my general md about it....Could you please at least advise me to what questions I can ask my ortho at my next appointment (Tuesday) My general Md feels that it may need drained and indicated that I should not let this continue on. He did check to see if it was interfearing with my circulation and does not feel it is. It is also not hot to touch but is very painful when touches.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 43 minutes later

From the description of your detailed history, it does seem that the lump could indeed be a hematoma , that is in the process of being organized.

Usually, all that is needed to manage a hematoma is rest and the regular application of hot compresses. Get plenty of rest, and avoid running, jogging, or any strenuous exercise. The blood that has formed the hematoma will usually dissolve on its own as time passes, and the hematoma will disappear. Of course, the larger the hematoma, the more blood it will contain, and the longer it will take to disappear.

With regard to what questions to be asked, here are a few suggestions:-

1. What would his diagnosis would be, with regard to the lump ?

2. What is the normal prognosis of this particular hematoma (in case he considers it to be a hematoma) ?

3. What would he expect the status of the hematoma, in the next 6 months (if it is not drained at the earliest) ? Any complications that could be possible ?

4. What are the possible complications, if the procedure is done at the current time ?

5. If he chooses, not to drain the hematoma, the specific reason, why not ?

6. Any alternative treatment modalities , that he would suggest ? and the efficacy of such treatments ?

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries.