Bruised painful lump after a fall. Cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi I am a 46 year old female, 5'9 160 pounds, no remarkable health issues. I fell down a flight of stairs 2.5 weeks ago. I have a lump on my right check that is surround by bruising.. The lump is not bruised. It feels numb ( scar feeling) to the touch, however after 2.5 weeks of ice and heat the lump is not subsiding. Very painful to sit

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
The formation of lump and bruise after trauma suggests internal bleeding and hematoma formation which can heal by fibrosis (scarring) and feels numb and hard.
Ideally it should resolve gradually in 4_6 weeks without any intervention if uncomplicated.But if it involves any blood vessel or nerves or other soft tissue or if infected ( complications) then it needs to be evaluated by a doctor to check for adequate healing.
Pain relief can be achieved temporarily by analgesics, antiinflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, or diclofenac with serratiopeptidase (which hastens healing), as per prescription of treating physician.
But if lump persists more than 4_6 weeks, please consult your doctor or a general surgeon for confirmation of diagnosis and further management.
Hope I have answered your query.