Bruise on the tip of the penis for a child. History of circumcision. No pain. Is it normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 2 1/2 son just started potty training. I noticed today that he has bruise on the tip on his penis. He is circumcised. It doesn't seem to hurt him. Should be worried?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later

A small bruise on the tip of penis in children is most commonly seen due to inadvertent injury. Since penis is a highly vascular tissue, a small injury also makes the area reddish and angry looking.

Your child is not in any pain right now. You need not worry. Most of such small bruises disappear and heal on their own in 5-7 days. You can self monitor the area for any swelling, discharge, pain or blackish or purple discoloration of the area in which case you need to consult a physician for its proper management.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal