Bruise on breast. Is the pain normal? Should I worry about the nerves?

I fell really hard against my friends wheelchair a few days ago and I now have a gigantic bruise just above my left breast. There is a lot of pain and it hurts to take a XXXXXXX breath. I know there is no bone damage but I was wondering about nerves... Should I see a Dr.? or is this just going to take time to heal?
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 36 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query
When the breast has suffered an injury, symptoms include swelling, pain, firmness, discoloration or a hard painful ring surrounding the nipple. Calcium deposits (breast calcifications) can result from injury but won't show up until a later mammogram
Self treatment  for injury breast consists of icing locally for  15 minutes, three or four times a day. After 48 hours, apply heat via heat lamps, heating pads, hot showers or ointments and taking ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 5 days.

If a lump forms in the breast and does not dissipate after a few weeks, see a doctor. Breast calcifications that appear on a mammogram should be investigated further, although they are usually harmless and noncancerous.Some times a hematoma ( blood filled sac) can also form in the breast resulting in the lump.
There is no fear of nerve damage as whatever injury takes place,it heals with time.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck